Saturday, February 25, 2012

What is the deal with cartoons?

I'm mostly talking about Cartoon Network when I say this. What is it with these shows? They feel almost cynical. I can't put a finger on what seems wrong about them. I feel like it would have a negative effect on children watching. The show My Gym Partners a Monkey, Courage the Cowardly Dog, and Camp Lazlo all seem to share the same sick and mindless vibe. Does anyone feel the same, or know what the deal is?What is the deal with cartoons?
Yes. I noticed it too, that's why I stopped watching them as an adult. They are very mindless and then some: My Gym Partners a Monkey subtly teaches evolution to impressionable children; Courage the Cowardly Dog was on the air for years doing the same thing in every episode with different frightening monsters, Camp Lazlo makes a LOT of religious references and even had an episode where they were playing with a ouiji board; Squirrel Boy started off funny but then took a turn for the worse when that creepy one-eyed dog with mystical powers kept appearing more and more; Juniper Lee was a cartoon that was actually about a girl who fought demons (yes, demons) and they even sang about it in the theme song; Cow and Chicken had a main character with the likeness of the the traditional view of the devil and was simply called The Red Guy; Scooby Doo, like Courage the Cowardly Dog but older, was about the same thing in every episode but with different fake or real monsters; Chowder started off pretty funny but then it became too bizarre to tolerate; Codename Kids Next Doors was alright for the most part, but some of the episodes were really scary and creeping, like the one where Numbah 3 looked like she was possessed by a demon when the temperature was too high in her house, and the series finale where everyone where turned into frightening zombies; and Teen Titans had a main character who was from the underworld.

The only reason I can give is that someone behind the scenes at Cartoon Network must be into some kind of spiritism or the occult or something, but I don't want anything to do with it. (Deuteronomy 18:10-12) I don't have TV anymore, but I'm not exactly quick to view their cartoons online, either. However, these things definitely appeal to kids, and so does mindless activity. I think it would be better for children to watch something more wholesome, like the shows on Nick Jr. in the morning that actually teach something. As for teens, they need to turn the tv on less and read more.

No comments:

Post a Comment